My parents shielded me when I was a kid.
I didn’t get to experience the ugly part of life because they wanted me to have the life a child should have.
After graduation from high school, I began to see the ugly and difficult side of life. Within two weeks of graduation, the pet that I grew up with had to be put down. She was so old that she was blind and deaf. I was devastated, but my dad said it was part of growing up. A month later, my parents and I were able to get out of the house before we succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. If it hadn’t been for the carbon monoxide detector, none of us would have survived the night. This opened my eyes and made me realize that growing up was not fun. I got married young and we soon bought a house. Our bedroom had a lot of exposure to the sun which I thought would be amazing, but I was wrong. By mid-afternoon, the room was extremely heat because of the sun shining through the picture window. As hot as it was outside, we worried that the heating inside the room was even worse. The air conditioning couldn’t combat the heat and our energy bills were extremely high. I called the HVAC company but they said the AC was fine, but I should begin looking for something to cover the windows. I suggested a reflective film and some shades. The film would keep the UV rays out of the house, while the shades could block out some of the sun during the day. It saved me a lot on the energy bills since the AC wasn’t running nearly as much.